Thursday 2nd July 2020 should have been our BBQ on our Drive for our clients, contacts and neighbours. Unfortunately the pandemic has prevented us from hosting our BBQ. However, to mark the day, we have brought you a BBQ Quiz! We hope you will take part. Please feel free to email your answers to email@example.com for a chance to win a small prize!
- Where did the term “barbecue” originate?
- Caribbean cooks using a wooden platform to slow-cook meat
- Hawaiian luaus, complete with roast pig
- Southern plantations
2. What type of grill produces a smokier, richer flavour?
- 3. How can you produce the brief grill ‘flare-ups’ that professional BBQ masters show off with?
3. How can you produce the brief grill ‘flare-ups’ that professional BBQ masters show off with?
- Blow on the flames
- Press down on meats with a spatula
- Put a piece of meat straight onto the heat source
4. Which type of oil should you never use in marinades to prevent burning and smoking?
- Olive Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Vegetable Oil
5. What is it meant when someone talks about a barbecue ‘dry rub?’
- Rubbing the meat before it is marinated to tenderise it
- A mixture of spices put on the meat for flavour
- Leaving meat to rest (ie. dry) after cooking so it re-absorbs juices
6. Where is BBQ-ing a very popular practice?
- United Arab Emirates
- United States of America
7. What’s the difference between barbecuing and grilling?
- The same thing
- Grilling is on a low fire, BBQ-ing is on a hot fire
- BBQ is on a slow, low fire, grilling is hot and quick
8. When making a BBQ, when do you apply a mop
9. There are four main styles of American barbecue named after the region they came from. What type of meat characterises Memphis barbecue?
10. What side dish was an early staple with Southern barbecue?
- Potato salad
- Corn bread
- Macaroni and cheese
11. What characterises Alabama barbecue?
- a mustard-based sauce
- a molasses-based sauce
- a white sauce
12. According to standard etiquette, what should a guest NOT do at a barbecue?
- bring a side dish
- tend the grill if the host seems busy
- offer to help clean up
13. What type of smoke is advised for successful barbecue?
- thin, blue smoke
- thick smoke, white in colour
- no smoke at all
14. Which jazz musician recorded “Struttin’ With Some Barbecue”?
- Wynton Marsalis
- Miles Davis
- Louis Armstrong
15. The crunchy exterior of barbecued meat is called:
- The Ring
- Meat Candy